Tuesday, November 30, 2010

el guerra civíl

At least, that's what my history profesor called it. But really...that's what fútbol does to people here. Yesterday night was that HUGE game between Madrid and Barcelona. Angela and I were really Spanish and went to a bar to watch it with a few of our friends from church. I know, I know...I'm still fully aware that I know nothing about soccer (other than the fact that you're supposed to kick the ball into the goal), but it was way too fun of an event to miss out on. Walking down the streets, every single bar is packed with people watching the game together. You have a bar that is filled with Madrid fans, the next is filled with Barcelona fans, and then the one next to that is divided down the middle. Antonio, our professor, told us that on game days, it's like people are willing to kill their own brother for a win!...just kidding. He is a huuuge Madrid fan, so you can only imagine his reaction after that game (sorry for the spoiler but Madrid lost to Barcelona 5-0). I decided that I was going to root for Barcelona...but I kept that to myself in class. Oh and our friends were Real Madrid fans too. One of them, Danny, just finished telling me that Madrid's goalie was the best in the world...and then Barcelona scored. It was awesome. 


The bar we went to was divided. After each goal, half the people would jump up screaming, and the other half would have their heads in their hands..also screaming..but in frustration. The bar kind of sounded like this: "Venga....venga, venga, venga!!! Eh!!! Que asco! Eres tonto!?!? Terible! Espera!...venga.....venga, venga, venga...GOALLLLLLLLLLL!!!" 


Not gonna lie, I laughed a LOT. Good thing the Spaniards couldn't hear/understand my commentary...I might have been punched in the face. (I mayyyy have said something along the lines about how I wonder if Messi is really messy and also that I think it's funny that it looks like they have no legs when the cameras zoom out...but really it is!)


I don't think I'll ever fully get into fútbol...nor will I ever have a desire to play it (ewww running), but I will say that going to watch a game in a Spanish bar is a pretty good time. 

2 comments:

lindsay said...

ahahahahahahahahahh messi is messy. i literally laughed out loud.

Kevin Van Smaalen said...

HAHA janice this made my day. I think the only time you ran is when I made you catch the bus with me lol

Post a Comment